How would a colleague describe you to someone significant that you hadn't met? What would be their response to questions about your values and your vision? If someone asked a member of your own team 'what does xyz stand for?'... what do you think they would say?
You'd be wise to think carefully and deeply about these questions. The picture of 'you' that people carry in their heads affects everything...
- It shapes the spirit in which they hear what you say
- It shapes how they respond to your requests and needs
- It determines how much attention they give to your work
- It 'places' you in their league table of priorities
- It adds to or subtracts from your ability to affect change
Try asking a few trusted colleagues my opening questions - and ask them to be open and honest with you. Whatever they tell you is some of the most important feedback you will ever receive.
Use it well.